Skip to main content

In the Kitchen with Gram...Nut Bread!!

One of my favorite things in the whole wide world, something that, for whatever unknown psychological reason, gives me great comfort, is my Grandma's Nut Bread.




Once upon a time, she must've brought us some when I was sick, or convalescing from childbirth (I like to say that word from time to time..."convalescing". Couple that with with "poultice" and you're well on your way to a "Little House in the Prairie" episode.) or deep in the throws of child rearing.


Some sort of upheaval in my life in which I was given a loaf of Nut Bread and now I will forever associate that with comfort. A hug in the form of a delicious slice of sweet, buttered bread.


And now I'm smiling.


And now YOU will be smiling when I show you how stinkin' easy it is to create your very own "hug from Gram via a loaf of bread".


Here's how we start...this, and sour cream. Forgot the sour cream in the photo. One of these days, I promise, we'll get this whole "food blogging" thing down pat!





First in the bowl, sugars:



Next in line, eggs:



Cream those babies together, then add in some vanilla, and mix briefly. Gram says "I always add a little extra of things I like and a little less of things I don't like.", which means, there's usually a little extra vanilla. ;)



Now, find yourself a cute little munchkin to help you combine your dry ingredients.



And...AHA!! There's that sour cream! 




If I recall, the recipe originally called for sour milk, which Gram was out of one day while making Nut Bread, so she subbed sour cream and liked the results! (She does add a tablespoon of milk to the container at the end, to help get all the cream out and to add just a bit of moisture so the batter doesn't get too stiff.)

Begin adding your "wet" and "dry" ingredients..starting with the dry ingredients and ending with the dry ingredients.


Scrape the sides of the mixer as needed...



A big glop of sour cream...



And then the dry stuff:




Now, for that milk I told you about earlier...



Just that little bit helps to loosen up the dough (batter?) just enough.



And now...the nuts!! (This is another "case" in which Gram uses just a bit more than called for!) Add, and mix gently.


Grease your pans...Gram uses butter...



Divide your batter (dough?) equally among your loaf pans. We were able to get three "minis" out of the batter.



And into the oven they go!



When just out of the oven, run a knife around the sides of the bread to loosen from the pan, then remove immediately and cool on a rack.


I LOVE that this bread had a crisp crust with it's super soft, yummy inside! The "crust" softens after a bit, but we snarfed this baby down so fast, it never had a chance to get soft on us! 



Yum. *burp*






Gram's Nut Bread
Printable Recipe


1 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 c sour cream
1 T milk
1 tsp baking soda
3 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 c nuts (we use walnuts)


Preheat oven to 350*F. Cream together sugars and eggs, add vanilla and mix in. Combine soda, flour and salt (sift or whisk together) in separate bowl, starting with dry ingredients, alternately mix in dry ingredients and sour cream...starting with dry and ending with dry. Along with last addition of sour cream, add milk to batter (Gram adds it to the sour cream container first, to clean it out a bit, then adds it to the batter. Add in nuts, mix until just combined. Divide batter (dough?) equally among greased loaf pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes (usually closer to 60, but check it at 50!). When out of oven, immediately slide knife around bread edges to loosen from pan, then remove from pan to cooling rack. 


Enjoy with a smear of butter and a cup of coffee! And thank me later for the "comfort bread" hug! ;)







Comments

  1. This recipe has me super excited! I hate bananas...therefore banana nut bread is not going to happen. I hate spices that go into anything pumpkin or carrot (nutmeg, allspice, etc) so those breads combined with nuts are a no go either. (I'm not that picky, I promise!) This has none of those nasty ingredients so I will definitely be trying it very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! his sounds so good I'm DEFINITELY trying it soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte