Skip to main content

Five Question Friday!! 4/27/12

Hoping my big boy wakes up and feels better...I'm not placing any bets on it, however, judging by the look of his throat. Ouch.



Gonna be a good weekend to be sick, cool and rainy with a possibility of the "s" word. (Yes, "snow". Ugh.) Really, March can come back any day.


Enjoying the care package our friends from Australia sent yesterday...including a little tube (tube? Yes. It comes in a tube.) of Vegemite. My brother posted on Facebook that it "tastes like salty turds" to which I responded "salty turds are gross, I prefer mine unsalted". ;) Have yet to try it (the Vegemite, not the turds...salted OR unsalted)...hubs says he's gonna have it on toast tomorrow!


I'm kinda skeered.


Okay, time to get going on  5QF! (Wait, can anyone tell me how to get appropriate spacing with this new interface? I either get singled spaced or quadrillion spaced. I'd like double. Am I asking too much?!)



Welcome to Five Question Friday!! You've come to the right place if you want a fun, easy post or if you've suddenly discovered your muses have mono and refuse to do anything other than sleep and drink Gatorade and drool on their pillows because they can't swallow.

Rules for 5QF: Copy and paste the following questions to your blog post, answer them, then watch for the linky post to appear Friday morning and LINK UP!

Oh, and remember (pay close attention...this is the important one)...HAVE FUN!


Questions for Friday, April 13th: (Special thanks to Kate (@KatieB38) from Kate's Life, Gas Family (@gasfamily) from Gas Family BlogPam (@trooppetrie) from Troop Petrie, Sandy (@PardonMyDust) from Pardon My Dust, and Anna (@annacdaisy) from The Single Mommy Chronicles for their question suggestions! I would love to link you in a future 5QF, so come on over to mycommunity or watch for my Thursday afternoon shout out for questions on Twitter and offer up your best question suggestions! Remember to @5crookedhalos me and use hashtag #5QF if you go the Twitter route!)

1. Do you make your kids finish all the food on their plates?

2. Do you give an allowance?

3. Do you actually park your car in the garage?

4. What is one food you will NEVER cook?

5. Do you have anything exciting planned for the summer?



--------------------------------------------------------


1. Do you make your kids finish all the food on their plates?

Nope. I don't. Do I make them try the food on their plate? Yes, but I do not make them finish it...especially if I was the one to serve them up. (My vision of what they need may not be what their body needs to be full.)



Hubby has strong feelings about seconds, however...he feels that if they ask for seconds, they do need to finish what they asked for, but again, I struggle with it because we are the ones that serve them and what if they only wanted one bite and not a whole scoop?


I really feel that if you make your kiddo finish all the food on their plate, that you are setting them for a lifetime of overeating and weight issues. If you force them to eat when their stomachs are full, their little stomachs will get stretched out and need more food fill next time and their bodies will stop hearing the signal that they are full because they are not being allowed to stop eating when their body says to.


Most of all, I refuse to make issues out of food. Eating disorders are too prevalent in our society, and I don't ever want to put any emphasis on food (too much, too little) I want my kids to eat what they feel they need to to be satisfied.


If I happen to think that maybe they are just hopeful for snacks instead of supper, then I will make sure to tell them that if they can't eat x amounts of bites (typically their age), then they won't be able to have any snacks. Usually that's enough to get them to eat!


2. Do you give an allowance?


We don't. Is that bad?


We reward our children plenty, but we also feel that being a part of a family, you are expected to help out.


Also, we're a little unorganized in that department. We've tried chore chips and all sorts of little gimmicks, but nothing's ever stuck.


Hmmm...now I'm thinking we should try a little allowance. To teach them the value of money and how to save vs. spend. Hmmmmm...*deep in thought*
3. Do you actually park your car in the garage?



*deep thought over*


Sometimes?


Remember my terror? And my shoulder?


Yeah, garage door is still broken. And I'm too lazy, anxious, scared, worried to open the garage door by hand because my shoulder is JUST starting to feel good enough that I can look over my left shoulder (made lane changes hard for awhile!). 


So, I take the easy way out and park outside the closed garage door...which is totally fine now that the temps are above sub-Arctic levels and I don't have to worry about snow.


Oh. Wait. Saturday...that's right. Maybe we can get the opener fixed by then!! (Well, really we-and by we I mean he-needs to finish the cement board in the bathroom so that we can get this bathroom remodel going again!)

4. What is one food you will NEVER cook?



Do mushrooms count?


I mean, you cook mushrooms, right? Like, my mom...she cooks mushrooms in wine and stuff that makes me think maybe they would be okay, but I know...OH OH OH do I know about those dang mushrooms.


They resist when you bite...AND THAT IS NOT OKAY!


Also...I will never cook shrimp. *see above biting back*


Or scallops. *see above*


Oysters. *see above*


Squid. *see above and add in refusal to eat suction cups*


Wait. ONE food. Sorry. Got a little carried away...
5. Do you have anything exciting planned for the summer?



Currently, no. We've talked about planning something, but haven't really made the effort to really talk about it.


Although, if we don't plan it now, we'll never do it...we've learned our lesson.


Any recommendations? I'd like to see as much of America as we can...keeping in mind we'll be traveling in a mini van with 7 people, hauling a pop up camper and a whole bunch of crap for 7 people.


We are going to be going to a cabin with my parents...then there's the 4th of July, which is always fun...and then Valleyfair...and our family reunion. So, I guess, regardless, we DO have exciting things planned!


-------------------------------------------


Have a super duper weekend! I'm gonna try to get my house in order...wish me luck!




Comments

  1. I am right there with you on numbers 1 & 2. My thoughts exactly... except that you put them into words a little better than I did, lol. As for #3, I have a general rule... if it swims, I don't eat it! Between the smells and the textures, it's all just a bit too much for me. Oh, and the tastes. Not a fan of how any of it tastes anyway...

    Hope your guy feels better soon. My daughter has strep. Again. She was just at the ped. on 3/20 for the same thing. Then I was at the doc on 4/2. For the same thing. I feel your pain with the sick kiddo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HAVE AN IDEA!!! COME TO MICHIGAN!!! YES! That would the the PERFECT spot for your family vacation! MICHIGAN!!!! And then maybe we can talk Kate into coming to Michigan too! Pretty please?!?!?!?

    Oh and, squid....made me kind of vom in my mouth a bit. Thanks for that, M! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are all going to fight about where you go for the summer! After reading about the wedding party, I think you should come to Florida! We could have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE the Vegemite, the trick is to spread it THIN, not pile it on thick as or you will get the full 'salty turd' effect - try it with thin cheese slices...the competing product down under is Marmite which is currently the focus ofa national scandal here as stocks have run out...debates have raged for decades over which is the 'best'...they do have distinctly different tastes (and new Zealand Marmite tastes different than UK Marmite apparently) so if no joy, on Vegemite, maybe give the opposition a shot...?

    Off to do my five question quiz now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Foods that resist biting,hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't give an allowance, either. I don't think that's a bad thing at all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte