Skip to main content

It's not about YOU anymore!


Hey friends! Figured we were about due for a little shop talk...dontcha think?!

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...actually, more of a nursing "pet peeve", that we labor and delivery nurses share.

It's the "uncomfortable mama syndrome"...aka TOBP, or "tired of being pregnant".

Now, don't get me wrong...I know we all get uncomfortable and anxious to be "unpregnant" at the end of our pregnancies...believe me, after 5 pregnancies, I know!!

But, see...here's the catch. We signed up for this. When we decided to have a baby, this is what we signed up for...we become second to our growing babes, and we make certain sacrifices for them.

Such as suckin' it up when your hips hurt, your back hurts, you can't breathe, you can't eat and you can't walk.

It comes with the territory, my friend.

Aside by me...about the whole "signing up" for pregnancy...even if you didn't "officially" sign up...when you choose to "shake hands" you're signing up.

That's the potential outcome you have of "shakin' hands" whether you like it or not. You have 50% odds of getting pregnant every time you shake hands...as in, either you DO or you DON'T become pregnant. (I know, I know...there's a lot more math involved, but the truth is...you either walk away pregnant or not pregnant. 50%. End of story.)

Okay, aside is over...back to the original post...

I cannot tell you how many times we have had mothers come to the hospital at 36 (or sooner) weeks who "just want to be done" and honestly, truly, want to be induced. Usually because she "had a baby at *insert preterm weeks here* and it did just fine".

Well, guess what uncomfortable mama? Your baby needs YOU to grow it. Not the NICU. I realize, and I am entirely grateful for your other baby, that he/she did "just fine" being born preterm...but you'll NEVER convince me that it's okay to deliver a preterm baby just because you're uncomfortable.

Heck, I have a hard time with 39 week inductions for "maternal discomfort"!!

Welcome to the last weeks of pregnancy. It ain't fun, honey...but, it's NOT about you!

Please know, that I am not talking about preterm inductions for medical reasons. There are truly legitimate reasons...but, sore hips is not one of them.

I know I've mentioned it before...but I really wanna write a book. A pregnancy book in which I will be entirely frank and forthright about pregnancy and the joys and hardships it brings with it.

Heartburn, aching backs, losing all ability to take a deep breath...all of it.

Pregnancy is great...but, as anyone (or most anyone) will tell you...those last few weeks suck (heck, for some people, all 40 weeks suck).

They really bite the big one.

But, we suck it up. Because we're big girls...and we should be the ones suffering, not taking the chance of having our wee little babe suffering in the NICU.

So, my fellow mamas...remember, when you have a babe growing inside you...it's just not about you anymore.



Comments

  1. I LOVE it! You made some great points. Don't you love it too when you see pregant woman smoking or drinking alcohol? Can't you stop that for a small wrinkle in time? I LOVED being pregnant, but it was tough. You do what you have to though for the welfare of your baby. I could go on and on here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak it sister! (From a mama who was in misery for much of her four pregnancies!) And each of my babies came earlier than the previous. My last was 5 weeks early and spent 10 days in NICU. So not fun. I would have much rather have been pregnant those ten days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of my daughters at 34 weeks and one at 36 weeks due to toxemia...believe me, I would have loved to have gone full term. Even though they would have been over 11 pounds each (the 34 week baby was 6 lbs. 9 ozs. at birth the 36 week was 8 lbs. 10 ozs.) - there's a reason it is a 40 week period. People need to suck it up. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm new to your blog- LOVE talkin' shop! About writing a book (which I think is a great idea!) I wonder if you've ever read any of Vickie Iovines books- "The girlfriends Guide to..." bring pregnant, the frist year of motherfood, toddler years, etc. I laughed until I cried when I read them and I bet you'd do the same!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! And, I welcome your thoughts that aren't in agreement with mine...as long as they are respectful!

Most Popular Posts

Coming soon...

Come here looking for the tutorial? It can be found here:  Halo Braid Tutorial!  Let me know how it goes! I had something in mind to try on Baby Girl's hair the other day...my best bud, Dr. J, did something similar to it on Belle once, and I was trying to replicate it. Instead, I got this: Isn't it pretty?! It didn't take nearly as long as it looks and isn't nearly as intricate as it looks! Vlog tutorial coming soon...(for those of you waiting, I'm sorry it's taking me so long!)

Halo Braid Tutorial!

How appropriate, "halo braid", no?! ;) Finally, I have this ready for you...I apologize for the delay! This braid looks intricate, but is really quite easy and quick to pull off...the original video (prior to the warp speed braiding...watch the video to see what I mean) was just a bit over 8 minutes long...not too shabby! So, here you go...right in time for you to try it out on your little girl for Easter!

Crock-Pot Fajitas

You! Yes, YOU!! You must stop whatevertheheck it is that you are doing, and make this recipe. Right now. Tonight. Well...wait. You should probably finish reading this post first...you know...so you know how to make it... But then...STOP! STOP everything, make this, and thank me later! Oh, hold it...wait just a sec (again)...actually, I got this recipe from Melissa...yes, the Melissa of this story ! And this story ...which, well...is the same story, just told two different ways! ;) So, you can thank her...I guess. Well, in any event...prepare your tastebuds to be tantalized! You'll need this: And, this: You'll also need chicken breasts or steak, but since photographing your "main ingredient" is, like, soooo passe, I've left it out. ( Ahem... ) Just keepin ' up with the times, friend. So...slice up those peppers and onions into cute little strips... And...try your best to not slice up the little fingers that are sneaking away pepper strips... (Lemme just inte